What Is the Adopt a Family Program?
How Can I Or My Workplace Adopt a Family?
Adopting A Family is more interactive and personal than ever! On GetConnected, United Way's volunteer platform, we have created needs that describe each family. All families are anonymous until adopted and have been given a number. We then tell you the family size, and what makes up their family (example is #15 Family of 3 - Mom, 1 Son, 1 Daughter).
If you click on a family, you will find:
- Brief description of their story and their request for help
- Age of all family members
- Sizes of all family members
- Gift ideas for all family members
You will also learn if the family would like to stay anonymous or would like to meet you, & if they can pick up the gifts or need them delivered.
What Is Our Commitment to the Family?
It is completely up to you! Your blessings to your adopted family (or families) are completely open to you. That is one of the best things about this program is the flexibility!
The only 2 commitments are:
- Provide gifts for each individual of the family (what you give is up to you)
- Deliver, set up a pickup time with family, or drop off items at the United Way of the Lakeshore before December 18th.
Thinking of ways to go above and beyond? Here are some things we have seen in the past:
- Christmas Dinner Basket for the family
- Books for the family
- "Swag" basket from your workplace
- Christmas movie to watch together on Christmas Eve
- Christmas decorations for their home
FOR CHRISTMAS ASSISTANCE PLEASE CONTACT 211! In the event you don't qualify for a Christmas Program, contact us at (231) 332-4004 or email email@example.com.
Would you like United Way of the Lakeshore help match a family to you? Call Jana Routt, AFL-CIO Labor Engagement Director, at (231) 332-4004.