The vision of 1 in 21 is that Muskegon will be the Healthiest County in Michigan by 2021. It is an ambitious goal, but one that can be achieved if we all work together!
The founding partners of the initiative, including United Way of the Lakeshore, were brought together by the Muskegon Rotary Club's Health and Wellness Committee. In March 2011 a summit was convened to discuss Muskegon County's numbers in the University of Wisconsin's County Health Rankings. After the summit, core values were established to support the common vision of a healthier community:
- Inclusive participation and ownership, from all levels of the community
- Collaborative, cross-sector leadership and action
- Reduction of health disparities
- Emphasis on evidence-based, best practice strategies
- Efficient stewardship of community resources
- Sustainable initiatives and activities
Sub-committees were established to work on the strategic goals developed to make the vision a reality.
Reduce Obesity Rates in Muskegon County
Reduce Smoking Rates in Muskegon County
Educate the community on healthy choices
Increase the community’s access to healthy choices
Engage the community in making healthy choices
Measure and report successes annually in spring