Don't pay to file your simple taxes!
2021 Season Updates
United Way Worldwide has been hard at work redesigning a new and improved MyFreeTaxes for 2021. You’ll see a number of changes roll out in the coming weeks, which will enable us to better serve our users and partners. These changes include:
- A new client flow that ensures all site visitors get connected to the free tax filing option that meets their needs, whether that means accessing DIY Facilitated Self Assistance software or referral to full-service VITA programs
- A new Tax Time Financial Checklist page, which will help users improve their overall financial situation by connecting them to important financial products and services, including accessible and affordable bank accounts, a student debt fintech platform that will help users resolve student debt challenges and adjust their payment plans to save money, and engage 211 to connect with a financial counseling program
- A new software product (TaxSlayer FSA Remote) for MyFreeTaxes users who want to file taxes themselves, ensuring we connect MyFreeTaxes FSA filers to an entirely free product offering, with no option for in-product upgrades or fees. This will also ensure we support more forms (including Schedule C) and that there is no income limit!
These changes were developed thanks to the input from dedicated partners and stakeholders such as yourself. Thank you for your ongoing investment and support as we work together to build a free, accessible, and impactful MyFreeTaxes product.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Please note, the rest of the Partner Portal is in the process of being updated to reflect these changes. The FAQ is up to date, and the promotional materials will be completed in the coming days.
What makes MyFreeTaxes Unique from other Products?
- MyFreeTaxes is the largest free tax preparation service operated by a nonprofit.
- MyFreeTaxes has no income limit or age restrictions and supports unlimited state returns. It is free for all filers, with no option for paid add-ons or fees.
Top 10 things you should know about MyFreeTaxes
- Anyone of any income can file their simple returns online for free on MyFreeTaxes.com.
- 80% of filers finish their taxes in less than 1 hour!
- Filers save an average of $200 in fees by using MyFreeTaxes instead of a paid tax preparer.
- Our tax filing software guarantees 100% accurate returns, maximum refund, and top of the line security.
- MyFreeTaxes is mobile optimized, so the taxpayer can file seamlessly between their phone, tablet, or computer. The program includes a refund reveal during the entire filing process so the taxpayer can see any changes throughout the process.
- The MyFreeTaxes Helpline is staffed by IRS-certified 211 call specialists who are available to answer questions and help filers complete their return accurately.
- Your organization does not need to do VITA to promote MyFreeTaxes, however, if you do run VITA and have a VITA grant, United Way Worldwide partners with the IRS so that every MyFreeTaxes filer in your geography will count towards your VITA goals.
- Our Tax Time Financial Checklist page helps filers improve their overall financial situation by connecting them to important financial products and services, including: accessible and affordable bank accounts, a student debt fintech platform that will help users resolve student debt challenges and adjust their payment plans to save money and engage 211 to connect with a financial counseling program.
- United Way Worldwide provides weekly data updates throughout the tax season and breaks it out by zip, city, county, state, and United Way service area. You CANNOT use this data for promotional efforts.
- United Way has offered MyFreeTaxes for 12 years!
MyFreeTaxes is FREE for all simple returns.
- Users can file simple federal and up to three simple state returns for free.
- Simple tax situations covered for free in MyFreeTaxes include: W-2 income; limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV; student education expenses, credits or student loan interest; unemployment income; claiming the standard deduction; EITC; child tax credits; child and dependent care expenses.
- Unfortunately, MyFreeTaxes no longer provides a free return to filers who are self-employed. Selfemployed filers will need to report all of their income and expenses on a Schedule C form, which is not included in the MyFreeTaxes software.
- If you are self-employed, and wish to use MyFreeTaxes to file your taxes, you will only be charged $24.99 for a federal return and $18.50 for each state return (a 50% discount).
- You can easily file your taxes using MyFreeTaxes.com from your mobile phone, tablet or computer. It’s easy to use; just upload a picture of your W-2 to autofill your information. It guides you through the process to guarantee you get your maximum refund.
- Most filers complete their taxes in under one hour and save an average of $200 in fees by using MyFreeTaxes instead of a paid tax preparer.